Architect + Entrepreneur Startup Toolkit v2.0
Tools + resources for your entrepreneurial design practice
The to-do list for architecture startups is long. There's letterhead, logos, business cards, and branding to design; systems to put in place to ensure the brand you're creating can deliver on its promises. Among all this are questions: how are new clients processed and welcomed? What will you charge? What business structure and revenue model makes the most sense?
All this before you put pen to trace.
Most new businesses cobble together systems ad hoc - on an as needed basis. What if the systems, tools, templates, and worksheets were done for you, available and at the ready when you needed them on day one?
The Architect + Entrepreneur: Startup Toolkit is the foundational resource every startup design practice needs.
- Your Brand Plan (A+E Course Excerpt: video + curated resources + Igor naming guide)
- Branding Workbook (19 page PDF) + Business Model Canvas (PDF/JPG)
- Branding Assets: Letterhead, Curated Links
- Business Card Guide + Template (PDF, Images, PSD)
- Choosing a Business Structure + Cheat Sheet (video lesson + PDF) - A+E Course excerpt
- Revenue Model Guide (video lesson) - A+E Course excerpt
- Business Folder Structure (.zip)
- Profit + Hourly Rate Break Even Spreadsheet, Worksheet, + Financial Terms (.xls + PDF)
- Project Fee Track (.xls)
- Online Accounting Resources
Email Marketing Tools
- Email Templates (8 page PDF) + Social Media Icon Pack - B&W (PNGs)
- Email Capture/Marketing Resources (4 page PDF)
Process Tools + Documents
- New Client Design Process Guide (13 page PDF)
- New Client Prequalifying + Interview Questions – (4 page PDF)
- Architectural Services Proposal + Links (PDF) – (6 page PDF)
- Business + Project SOP templates
- Zoning + Code Checklist (4 page PDF/Keynote)
- New Client Authorization Letter (Word)
- New Client Questionnaire (12 page PDF)
- New Client Programming Worksheet + Room Size Guide - (4 page PDF/Excel/Keynote/Powerpoint)
- Hardware + Fittings Presentation Documents (8 page PDF/Keynote/Powerpoint)
- Lighting Presentation Documents (9 page PDF/Keynote/Powerpoint)
- Material Palette Presentation Documents (7 page PDF/Keynote/Powerpoint)
- Plumbing Fixture Presentation Documents (8 page PDF/Keynote/Powerpoint)
- New Client Welcome Checklist (Word) – 2 pages
- Field Report Template (PDF/Word/Keynote/Powerpoint)
- Shop Drawing Stamp (PDF, PSD)
- General Project Information Document (Word) – 1 page
- Meeting Notes Document (Word) – 1 pag
Check the curriculum below to see the everything that's included...
I'm an award-winning architect, entrepreneur and founder of 30X40 Design Workshop, a design studio located on Mount Desert Island, Maine. I'm also author of the Architect + Entrepreneur book series and creator of the most popular architecture-focused YouTube channel online. I've been designing simple, modern residential architecture for more than 24 years and a practitioner of all the novel, entrepreneurial business strategies I teach in my courses.
(More about me in this short film.)
Need more proof? Check out my work here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Get started now!
What others are saying...
"I wanted to thank you for making the Startup Kit available. I have had my company for 5 years and have been looking to analyze and straighten up my process since we grew so fast. This is just the thing I needed." - Andrew G
"Just wanted to give you a big thanks for putting this content together! I plan on utilizing these tools to help start up my own business and youtube channel. Thanks again, Eric!" - Henry W.
"Just purchased your Architect+Entrepreneur Startup Toolkit as I am fully enveloped in taking my Drafting & Design business to new heights. Have recently utilized the client proposal template to update my dated one, very comprehensive, well thought out, a lot in line with what I like to provide, thank you for the most valuable resource in the toolkit." - Peter J.K.
"I'm transitioning out of the huge corporate world and into a smaller (and hopefully more sane) practice of my own and have found this to be helpful, interesting and inspirational." - Ben P.
"All of your content is shaping the way I practice, what a great investment this is. Keep making things, you are inspiring many people and I am one of them." - John A.
"Thank you so much Eric for giving value so generously." - Yianni T.
"I purchased the startup toolkit and I'm listening to your book on audible too. I just wanted to make it clear that as someone 5-7 years behind you on a very similar path, you're helping me immensely. You're increasing my confidence and some of the materials are totally transformative. You're essentially making mentorship scalable. Just wanted to say thanks!" - Nick B.
"I am an architect in Scotland and have set up my own practice earlier this year after many years working for others. I just wanted to say thank you for your templates and videos - these have been a great source of inspiration and practicality that have helped me make the jump." - Alastair F.
"I simply want to express how much I appreciate your educational materials and course. Very excited about completing and implementing the toolkit and course work, and will be happy to share some of my success with you as it comes. My latest is I just landed my first ground up waterfront home project in Maryland...very exciting!" - Will A.